Stitching and sewing

Where I write far more than you ever wanted to know about my knitting, embroidery, crochet and assorted other crafty ventures.

Monday, September 11, 2006

My new home and weekend adventures

I'm experimenting with moving my blog here from wordpress. I like wordpress well enough, but there are still a few things about Blogger than I prefer.

I've haven't been teaching for several weeks, as we make the transition from Summer to Fall sessions. I start back up tonight with several new students, and then it's back to the land of "working when everyone else is free".

Marc and I were going to take a trip to Boston during my time off, but then we were invited to a wedding in Santa Fe in October, so we decided to save our big trip for that. Instead we took a few days last week to visit Bardstown Kentucky. We live in Louisville, which is only 40 minutes or so from Bardstown, but it was nice to have a relaxing trip with no pressures. There's actually a surprising amount to do for a small town. Usually I'm a city girl, but we made our own fun.



Yes, that's right... we stayed in a jail for the first night. Our room (the "Library" room) was actually very nice and I enjoyed it, although there were a few rooms I peeked in that were a little too "jail-like" for my taste. One of the rooms in particular had giant old beams covering the ceiling, and the nickname "the upstairs dungeon" because it had been the punishment cell. You could not have paid me enough to stay there. The newest part of the jail is still set up as it was, and you can wander through it on your way to breakfast (which is in the courtyard where they used to do hangings.) Marc wandered back there, only to be startled in the dark by a mannequin set up in one of the old cells. Bardstown's tourist attractions have quite an affinity for scary mannequins.

For instance, we went to the Civil War Museum, which was lame in exactly the way I thought it would be - lots of random uniforms and guns, and descriptions where "Fort Sumter" is misspelled as "Sumpter" over and over again. But then, in the middle of the museum, there was inexplicably this:


Why yes, that is indeed a mannequin holding a saw, cutting off another mannquin's leg. I can't even begin to express what a bad idea it is to give a dummy a saw. I've seen that movie, thanks.


We visited the Abbey of Gethsemani (where Thomas Merton lived), where Marc was able to buy cheese made by monks and a book about explaining Catholicism to Evangelicals.

We visited the Kentucky Railroad museum, which wasn't terribly large or exciting, but I did get a picture of the sign from the station near where I live


My grandpa worked for L&N (Louisville - Nashville) railroad. I remember going to the museum with him, and him proudly pointing out the cars and engines he had worked on. And Marc loves trains (well, loves to build models of them out of Legos) so it was a good trip.

The second night we stayed at another B&B, where we somehow managed to accidentally rent the entire guesthouse. It was awesome - we had two whole floors to ourselves!

So it was a pretty nice trip. I bought a green scarf at a thrift store, and they had coffee. What more do you need?



3 Comments:

  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger Avrienne said…

    Glad to hear you had a fun trip...my mother's family is all from Louisville, so I've been down there quite a bit, but somehow we've never done much else than visit them, so I've never seen all these neat things less than an hour away!

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I live in Boston, and I never saw any of that stuff! Must make up for missed opportunities!

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger 50sgal said…

    nice blog and adorable scarf!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home